Please view the below letter from Executive Director, Larry Slatky, on our current visitation policy.
An interdisciplinary team at our facility has been meeting regularly and as needed to evolve our planning efforts and ensure that all staff and resources are in place, ready to protect and care for our residents. Our staff is continuing to work with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), New York State Department of Health (NYSDOH) and other local health departments to actively monitor and respond to this rapidly changing situation.
For more information, please read the PDFs provided below.
We will continue to share updates via our Facebook page, email, and this page.
Information from the CDC
Click the buttons below for more information.
DO NOT VISIT if you have fever, shortness of breath, cough, nasal congestion, runny nose, sore throat, nausea, vomiting and/or diarrhea.
Until You are Completely Recovered.
Infections like flu and novel coronavirus (COVID-19) are especially dangerous to the residents and can be avoided.
A Letter From Executive Director, Larry I. Slatky
To Our Shaker Place Family:
We are pleased to announce that Shaker Place has met the Department of Health’s criteria for the resumption of in-person visitation at the facility. We will begin permitting outdoor visits beginning Tuesday, September 22nd between 10am and 2pm. From that date, we will be open for family visits Tuesdays and Thursdays between those hours with a view to expanding visitation hours in the near future should the facility remain free of COVID-19.
As ever, our primary concern is the health, safety and wellbeing of your loved ones, our residents, and we will do everything in our power to keep COVID-19 out of our facility. To this end, and in compliance with Department of Health regulations, we have instituted a number of safety measures and conditions which must be met in order to ensure safe visitation:
- Visitation is strictly by appointment only. Please contact our Social Work department to schedule your visit at (518)869-2231.
- Visitors must be 18 years of age or older and be prepared to provide proof of age when requested. Only one to two visitors per resident are permitted at any one appointment.
- Visitors must present documentation of a negative COVID test performed within seven days of their visit, each and every visit.
- Immediately prior to a visit, visitors will be screened for signs and symptoms of respiratory illness including temperature. Those with respiratory symptoms are requested to refrain from visiting until symptoms resolve. Please note that completed visitor screening forms will be provided to the Department of Health, at their request, for purposes of inspection and contact tracing.
- Visitors must wear a surgical mask (which will be provided) that fully covers their nose and mouth at all times while at Shaker Place.
- Six feet of social distancing between resident and visitor must be maintained at all times.
- Visitors will be required to sanitize their hands and perform correct cough etiquette during their visit.
- To accommodate as many families as possible, visits will be limited to 45 minutes from the scheduled time of your appointment. Please expect that some of this time will be spent being screened and receiving instruction from Shaker Place staff.
- With the cooler weather, all visitation will be indoors where we are permitted to have a maximum of five visitors in the building at any one time.
- New residents undergoing their initial 14-day observation period at Shaker Place are not eligible for visits during this period.
- Per Department of Health guidelines, any visitor not adhering to these conditions of visitation will be prohibited from visiting for the duration of the COVID-19 State-declared public health emergency.
- Please understand, as we work to accommodate visitors, we will be continually evaluating the visitation plan we have put in place which will remain subject to change as we work to refine this process.
As for COVID testing, we understand that the following sites are returning results promptly:
- WellNow – 1438 Western Ave, Albany, NY 12203 P: (518) 649-9986
- Please check their website for wait times – https://wellnow.com
- SUNY Albany – State Gold Parking Lot, Albany, NY 12206 P: (888) 364-3065 (by appointment only)
- Also, check your local urgent care centers
Please also note that if a staff member or resident tests positive for COVID-19, that the facility is required to test all staff and offer testing to all residents every 3-7 days, and that visitation must be suspended until such time as there are no new positives in the facility for a period of fourteen days.
We look forward to having our Shaker Place families back and to working with you all to ensure that visits are conducted in the safest manner possible. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me at 518-213-8940.
Larry I. Slatky