Distinguishing Features Of the Class
Supervises the professional nursing services and management of a shift at the Shaker Place Rehabilitation & Nursing Center. This involves responsibility for maintaining high standards of professional nursing services with special emphasis on the supervision and instruction of nursing personnel as well as the coordination of the facilities services to afford the residents a suitable environment. In addition to the supervisory duties, this employee may be assigned specialized tasks pertinent to the care and welfare of the residents. The work is performed under the general direction of the Assistant Director of Nursing Services, with wide latitude allowed for the facilities nursing operations. Does related work as required.
Typical Work Activities
- Collaborates with medical staff in the care and treatment of residents;
- Assigns unit staffing assure the quality of services available to residents;
- Supervises the preparation of and submits descriptive medical, and statistical reports, records and data;
- Instructs and assists the nursing staff and auxiliary nursing personnel on nursing problems, clinical techniques, unit management, staff evaluations, takes disciplinary action and related activities;
- Coordinates the services rendered by other departments in the interest of effective management and of maintaining residents at their highest practical level of function;
- Interacts with all major functional operations on issues involving residents well-being including Medical, Dietary, Therapy Social Services and Pharmacy;
- Supervises the activities of and instructs subordinates as needed;
- Performs a variety of personnel management, clinical department and unit management and supply distribution activities;
- Assists in the formulation and execution of policies and procedures;
- Promotes and maintains good relationships with residents and their relatives and friends;
- Prepares a variety of records and reports.
Full Performance Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Personal Characteristics
- Thorough knowledge of professional nursing techniques and their relation to medical practices and skill in their application;
- Good knowledge of clinical division management, ward management and supply distribution practices;
- Good knowledge of the facilities operations and the need to coordinate all services for the well being of the residents;
- Ability to supervise the administration of prescribed therapeutic measures;
- Ability to secure the cooperation of others;
- Ability to plan and supervise the work of others;
- Ability to understand and carry out technical, oral and written instructions;
- Good observation, mental alertness, thoroughness, cheerfulness, patience, emotional stability, empathetic attitude towards the sick;
- Physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
Four (4) years of experience as a Registered Professional Nurse, two (2) of which must been in a supervisory capacity.
At time of appointment: Possession of a license issued by the State of New York to practice as a Registered Professional Nurse.