We are looking for an experienced Chef to be in charge of the preparation and cooking of food at Shaker Place, a facility with a large client population. This work involves the supervision of the food preparation staff in the Albany County Skilled Nursing Facility. The work is performed under the general supervision of the Director of Dietary Services, and within the directions of the Dietitian who sets the nutritional values for the food to be served. Supervision is exercised over all supervisory and cooking personnel within the kitchen. Does related work as required.
Typical Work Activities
- Supervises and participates in the preparation of and serving of food
- Supervises the storage and care of food and supplies
- Supervises the cleaning of the kitchen and care of the equipment
- Keeps records of food and supplies received and used
- Keeps employee time card
- Plans work schedules
- Plans menus with attention to acceptability and budgetary limitations and with a Dietitians assistance in setting nutritional values
- Determines requirements and submits requisitions for food and supplies.
- May participate in QA monitoring and Audits. May serve on QA subcommittees
Full Performance Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Personal Characteristics
- Thorough knowledge of the principals and practices of large quantity food preparation
- Thorough knowledge of the fundamentals of nutrition principals and their applications to the health of residents
- Good knowledge of menu planning
- Good knowledge of the purchasing of food in large quantities and the sanitary handling and storage of such food
- Good knowledge of modern food preparation including the utensils, appliances and equipment used for such preparation
- Ability to plan and supervise the work of others
- Ability to keep records of temperature of foods served
- Ability to get along well with other employees
- Ability to accurately communicate verbal and written direction
- Physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position
- Graduation from a regionally accredited New York State registered college with an Associate’s Degree in Foods and Nutrition and four (4) years of food service experience in an institutional setting, of which two (2) years shall have been in a supervisory capacity; OR,
- Six (6) years of food service experience in an institutional setting, of which two (2) years shall have been in a supervisory capacity.
Mandatory COVID-19 precautions include wearing of a face mask at all times, PPE as required, must be fully vaccinated with booster, COVID-19 prevention questionnaire and temperature taken daily.